Victorian Teachers Scent Victory!
AEU members at a rally in Melbourne Teachers in Victoria who have been on a series of highly successful strikes to demand improved pay and conditions have won significant gains. Below is the statemtent from the Australian Education Union:
Today Joint Primary and Secondary Sector Council overwhelmingly endorsed a Draft Agreement for ratification by AEU members.2008 Schools Agreement at a glance
- Top rung classroom teachers now best paid in Australia
- Best starting salary in Australia
- $10,000 pay rise from May 11 for 16,000 teachers
- Around $5000 pay rise for 5,000 teachers
- $1000, $1500 or $2000 bonuses for most teachers/principals
- Pay increases which average between 5.2% and 11.5% per year
- Crackdown on contract abuse
- Guaranteed summer pay for contract teachers who work full year and pro rata school holiday pay for all others
- No loss of pupil free days
- No loss of holidays
- Enhanced consultation
- Laptop discounts.